Thursday, November 5, 2020

Is there a relationship between body temperature and COVID-19

 

Because it seems that fire and COVID have many similarities (the spread rapidly, generate free radicals, and can become self sustaining) I couldn't help wondering if your pH (which needs to be a specifically low range for COVID to "catch fire") could affect your body temperature.  I wondered this after reading about combustion (in fire) on Wikipedia:


the heat from a flame may provide enough energy to make the reaction self-sustaining.

Combustion

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
The flames caused as a result of a fuel undergoing combustion (burning)
Air pollution abatement equipment provides combustion control for industrial processes.

Combustion, or burning,[1] is a high-temperature exothermic redox chemical reaction between a fuel (the reductant) and an oxidant, usually atmospheric oxygen, that produces oxidized, often gaseous products, in a mixture termed as smoke. Combustion does not always result in fire, but when it does, a flame is a characteristic indicator of the reaction. While the activation energy must be overcome to initiate combustion (e.g., using a lit match to light a fire), the heat from a flame may provide enough energy to make the reaction self-sustaining. Combustion is often a complicated sequence of elementary radical reactions. Solid fuels, such as wood and coal, first undergo endothermic pyrolysis to produce gaseous fuels whose combustion then supplies the heat required to produce more of them. Combustion is often hot enough that incandescent light in the form of either glowing or a flame is produced. A simple example can be seen in the combustion of hydrogen and oxygen into water vapor, a reaction commonly used to fuel rocket engines. This reaction releases 242 kJ/mol of heat and reduces the enthalpy accordingly (at constant temperature and pressure):



py·rol·y·sis
/pīˈräləsəs/
noun
CHEMISTRY
  1. decomposition brought about by high temperatures.
    "steam pyrolysis of hydrocarbons"
Lysis (/ˈlaɪsɪs/ LY-sis; Greek λύσις lýsis, "a loosing" from λύειν lýein, "to unbind") is the breaking down of the membrane of a cell, often by viral, enzymic, or osmotic (that is, "lytic" /ˈlɪtɪk/ LIT-ək) mechanisms that compromise its integrity.






How and why pH changes with body temperature: the α-stat hypothesis. Tobias Wang, Donald C. Jackson. Journal of Experimental Biology 2016 219: ...
by T Wang · ‎2016 · ‎Cited by 11 · ‎Related articles
9.1. CO2 Production when Body Temperature is low · Increasing the inspired oxygen partial pressure but allowing the respiration to remain spontaneous, e.g. ...
·ing body temperature. More recently it has been recognized that the particular balance achieved is not the constancy of blood pH that Barcroft sought, but is ...
by RB Reeves · ‎1977 · ‎Cited by 331 · ‎Related articles


Author Topic: Link between body temperature and pH level?  (Read 9346 times)

Offline LaurieS

  • Alumni
  • ***
  • Posts: 83
    Link between body temperature and pH level?
    « on: December 13, 2008, 09:40:23 AM »
    I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a correlation between low body temperature and alkaline pH levels.  I have been testing my pH intermittently for some time now and always show an acidic reading, but I recently saw an energy healer who told me that he believed me to be alkaline due to my low body temperature (I'm always around 97.7). 

    He also says my chronic fatigue (which is mild) is an indicator of an alkaline pH.

    Any ideas/information?

    Offline jodi f.

    • CURRICULUM CONSULTANT
    • Staff
    • *****
    • Posts: 2789
      Re: Link between body temperature and pH level?
      « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »
      You pose an interesting question. I don't know if there's a correlation for you, but I don't see one for myself. I've been doing pH urine readings on myself off and on since 1989 (when I first started at Bauman). I've also been recording my temperatures since my teen years, and that's been quite awhile. If my temperature is above 97.5, I've probably been running around. This has been true for my entire life. My pH, however, changes in relation to what I eat. I try to test it at the same time every day, which is early in the morning, because my urine (everyone's?) tends to alkalinize as the day progresses. I used to tend to be very acidic, but I believe that had more to do with stress levels than with body temperature, though I DO think body temperatures can decline under stress. Now, because I eat tons of veggies, use greens powders, and supplement with high dose magnesium occasionally, I run much more alkaline. I've also worked on my adrenal function (stress) with foods, supplements and lifestyle changes, and I imagine that's also helped immensely.

      Offline LaurieS

      • Alumni
      • ***
      • Posts: 83
        Re: Link between body temperature and pH level?
        « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 09:04:54 PM »
        Well, that is good information to get and I appreciate you sharing it.  I, too, test my urine pH often and was always acidic.  I was told that was why I had continuing problems with yeast and bacterial overgrowth.  I have worked hard to become more alkaline, but the pH test never shows improvement.  That's why I was so surprised to have this person tell me he thought I was overly alkaline.

        As I've done more research on the topic I've come across two other pieces of information that may be of interest to you, too.  First, I found some information relating candida to low body temperature.  This begs the question, is it coincidental, or is it a real connection?  Second, I found some information on something called Wilson's Syndrome which seems to be linked to low T3 thyroid hormone.  Again, is it a real connection or just coincidence?  Have you ever heard of these connections?

        I'm starting a yeast detox tomorrow, so I'll track my temperature and see what happens...

        Offline jodi f.

        • CURRICULUM CONSULTANT
        • Staff
        • *****
        • Posts: 2789
          Re: Link between body temperature and pH level?
          « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 08:30:12 AM »
          Those connections are all interesting, as well as perplexing. My body temps have been low my entire life. I don't have Candida; I don't have Wilson's Syndrome. I DO have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, but I supplement with adequate amounts of natural thyroid hormone (which contains plenty of T3), selenium, dietary iodine, zinc, vitamin D. I feel great, have more energy than most people 10 or more years younger than me. I'm sure my adrenals are a little off, but when I open my eyes in the morning, I'm off and running (to the chagrin of my sleepy husband); I don't get sleepy during the day, and I fall asleep easily at night. My only adrenal dysfunction is awakening in the middle of the night, buy hey, that's my main menopause complaint. I work at stress reduction and take in foods, herbs and other nutrients to support that.

          My guess, for myself, is that this low temp pattern was set up long, long ago and is virtually hardwired. It also doesn't bother me. Even with these low internal temperatures, I'm not sensitive to the cold; in fact I love it. On a cycling tour across the Mojave Desert a couple of Christmases ago, we had a 23 degree morning in which we had to dress, make breakfast, pack up camp and get riding. I had less trouble with the low temperature than did my husband, who's internal temperatures run completely normal. There's also literature out there in the scientific world that people with low temperatures live longer, presumably because they're not burning up so fast. Conversely, we read that enzyme reactions must take place in a very narrow range of temperatures, and that low temperatures interfere with bodily functions. Who knows? I've stopped trying to figure it out. I just tell people I'm practicing preventative cryogenics :-)

          BTW, what time of day do you check your pH? If it's first thing in the morning, it's likely always to be acidic.

          Offline LaurieS

          • Alumni
          • ***
          • Posts: 83
            Re: Link between body temperature and pH level?
            « Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 09:36:12 AM »
            For what it is worth, I have started taking 15 drops of ginger juice daily and my temperature has gradually increased so that my average daily temperature is approaching 98.4.  (Previously, I took the temp all day long and it averaged around 97.7.)

            This was recommended by my energy healer who says that ginger juice acts on the blood to make it move through the system at a more normal pace which allows body temperature to normalize.  (He said my blood was too thick before and not moving fast enough to keep my temperature up.)

            Who knows, it might be worth a try for you.  (He said to do it for a week.  Not sure it is good for long term.  I suppose after the first week one could just take 15 drops each time they see a dropping of the temperature.)

            Offline ccdebe

            • Alumni
            • ***
            • Posts: 14
              Re: Link between body temperature and pH level?
              « Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 12:02:18 PM »
              I think your healer may either have it backwards or there is not quite the link between the pH and body temp.  I have had low body temp my whole life and have had food allergies since childhood.  My temp is normally around 96.8, and I would say I have been mostly acidic my whole life; lots of refined foods and lacking in veggies growing up.  I have noticed that since I began transitioning to better quality whole foods, my body temp has increased slightly (although I am currently having metabolism issues which I am working on) and I am eating more alkalinizing foods which would  correlate with a more neutral pH and if I was to overcome my food allergies, and increase my alkalinity, it would only make sense that I would show an alkaline pH.  Also, if you do tend to run lower than average body temp., you would do much better by adding warming spices to your foods and stay away from cold foods like dairy.  Try ginger, cinnamon, cumin-these are great for adding warmth to your foods and it tastes good!

              Offline LaurieS

              • Alumni
              • ***
              • Posts: 83
                Re: Link between body temperature and pH level?
                « Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »
                What is funny is that I thouht his advice was backwards, too.  I always test as a very acidic pH when I have low body temperature, too.  But, he told me I was alkaline - which I thouht was wrong.  I tried his advice anyway and I have to admit my average body temperature is averaging around 98.4 for the last week or two.

                He said the urine is always more acidic than the body actually is, so using urine as a measure is not quite accurate according to him.  (I plan on asking my Bauman mentor about this on our next call.)

                Anyway, I tried his advice just for kicks and it seems to have worked.

                By the way, you mentioned ginger in your list of warming foods.  That is what I took and it seems to have helped.  15 drops a day for a week.

                Offline LaurieS

                • Alumni
                • ***
                • Posts: 83
                  Re: Link between body temperature and pH level?
                  « Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 09:18:25 PM »
                  I know it has been a while, but to update this case, I was just diagnosed with iron-deficient anemia.  I'm sure that has something to do with the low body temperature and acid urine in the AM.  We'll see what happens to urine pH and body temperature after I got the iron deficiency fixed.  (Thyroid was tested and is within range, though I thought it was a little low in the margin and have heard that this could signal thyroid issues even though they don't register as such on the test).

                  This was an interesting diagnosis, though.  I hadn't expected iron deficiency.
                  https://www.westlab.com/blog/2017/11/15/how-does-temperature-affect-ph

                  How Does Temperature Affect pH?

                  temperature_and_ph_linkedin - banner

                  Temperature plays a significant role on pH measurements. As the temperature rises, molecular vibrations increase which results in the ability of water to ionise and form more  hydrogen ions. As a result, the pH will drop. The dissociation of water into hydrogen and hydroxide ion can be represented as:

                  H2O (l) ⇌ H+ (aq) + OH− (aq)

                  Every solution will undergo a change in their pH value through changes in temperature. A difference in pH measurements at different temperatures is NOT an error! The new pH level simply tells about the true pH for that solution at that specific temperature.

                  The value of Kw (Water ionisation constant) and pH with increasing temperature

                  Temperature Dependence of the pH of pure Water

                  It is clearly evident from the table that the pH of water at 0oC is 7.47, but the same water at 100°C will have a pH of 6.14*.

                  Typical pH values for solutions at different temperatures

                  2

                  From the table, we can conclude that the effect of temperature is greatest for highly basic solutions.

                  Common Oversight with pH testing

                  A common oversight is when you take a sample from a process tank and make the pH measurement in the laboratory. At that time, you are probably not measuring pH at the same temperature as the temperature in the process tank, this means that you will not have the correct pH value for the sample. Thus a pH value without a temperature value is meaningless. This can be simply overcome by testing pH on site and at the source of the sample.

                  Types of Temperature Compensation

                  There are two common types of temperature compensation when working with pH measurements.

                  • Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC) compensates for the fluctuating milli-volt output from the electrode. ATC is commonly built into today’s pH meters for quick and accurate results.
                  • Solution Temperature Compensation (STC) (whether this is needed will depend on the pH accuracy required) converts the pH at the measurement temperature to the pH at a reference temperature. The reference temperature is generally 25°C. Only pH values taken at the same temperature or converted using solution temperature compensation can be compared to each other.

                  Remember that solution temperature effect and electrode temperature effect are different. To get your best results in pH measurement, always remember to calibrate and measure at the same temperature.

                  Summary

                  • The pH value of a solution is directly dependent on the temperature.
                  • A pH value without a temperature value is incoherent.
                  • Solution temperature compensation (STC) converts measured pH to the pH at 25°C.
                  • pH values taken at the same temperature or converted using solution temperature compensation can be compared to each other.
                  • To achieve highest accuracy, calibrate and measure at the same temperature.


                  *pH decreases with increase in temperature. But this does not mean that water becomes more acidic at higher temperatures. A solution is considered as acidic if there is an excess of hydrogen ions over hydroxide ions. In the case of pure water, there are always the same concentration of hydrogen ions and hydroxide ions and hence, the water is still neutral (even if its pH changes). At 100°C, a pH value of 6.14 is the New neutral point on the pH scale at this higher temperature.


                  No Comments

                  No comments:

                  Post a Comment

                  Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.